Today I truly experienced Spring. I felt extremely privileged to be visiting my cousin, Farmer Braga, just as he was taking a break in his gardening. As we both found ourselves hungry, we ended up creating a huge salad straight from the Far Star Farms garden and eating it right then and there- no kitchen used! “This is why I garden,” he said.
It reminded me how removed most of society is from their food. How often do you or anyone you know get a chance to eat a salad freshly picked from the soil!? While we don’t all have access to amazing organic gardens, we do have a choice in the foods we buy and choose to eat. And those foods don’t have to be filled with processed sugars and flours in order to taste good. Nor do you have to spend lots of time in the kitchen either. Just think of how good a sweet strawberry is or a juicy mandarin — perfect food without any preparation or additives necessary!
So, to celebrate Spring, I challenge you to try foods in their original state. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Eat a yellow or red bell pepper like an apple
- Make a fruit salad
- Create a salad with herbs and citrus fruits (lime, lemon, oranges, etc) rather than salad dressing
- Cut an avocado in half and eat it out of its skin with a spoon
- Buy a baby coconut at the health food store (or Asian store), chop open and drink the coconut water and then scoop out the flesh to eat.
- Wrap sliced cucumber, sunflower seeds, and bell pepper up in romaine lettuce like a taco or burrito
- Eat veggie sticks! — celery, carrots, jicama, radish, snow peas…
- Blend up a smoothie with banana, pear, hemp seeds, and spinach.
- And if you ever get the chance, I highly recommend uncooked asparagus picked fresh from the garden!!
And if you still need dressing for your salad, try this simple recipe, compliments of the Raw Divas:
1 1/2 cups blueberries (you can use frozen)
1 Tbs. lemon juice
Blend ingredients and enjoy over your salad!