Not only are these muffins grain free and gluten free, they are sugar free! For a sweetner I use dates. I think the lemon in this recipe is a must! It adds extra flavor and a dimension you wouldn’t get otherwise.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (make your own)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup date paste (1/2 – 1 cup dates, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and water)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon butter (0ptional)
- coconut oil or butter to grease muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease muffin cups with coconut oil or butter, or use paper muffin cups.
- To make date paste, blend together ~1/2 to 1 cup pitted dates, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and enough water to make a paste. The consistency should be spreadable. This is not an exact science…I just keep adding water until I get it right!
- In a mixing bowl combine 2 cups almond flour, coconut flour, and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, date paste, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and blend thoroughly. Gently fold in blueberries, then spoon batter into muffin cups. Pat tops down into rounded heaps and use a brush to dab with with butter (optional). Sprinkle with any remaining almond flour for a fancy finish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. The top should be springy yet firm when they’re ready.