If you want to slim down your waist; help prevent cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer and other illnesses; clear up your skin; increase your energy; and improve your mood, start minimizing the sugar in your diet. Below are some tips and tricks in making the transition without sacrificing flavor.
- Use fresh fruit toppings or unsweetened applesauce for pancakes, waffles, and french toast instead of syrup or honey.
- Gradually decrease sugar in recipes by one-quarter to one-third the amount called for in baked items until you obtain an acceptable product. Bring out the sweetness with vanilla, lemon, or almond extract, instead!
- Use date paste (dates and water blended together) instead of sugar in almost any recipe!
- Use stevia in teas, lemonade and other beverages.
- Buy prepared and packaged foods that don’t have added sugar. This includes: spaghetti sauce, beans, chicken stock, bread, salad dressing, peanut butter…
- Make your own spice rubs. Just read the ingredients from your favorite mix and recreate it yourself without the sugar. If you still want a sweet taste, add stevia instead.
- Make your own flavored yogurts. Mix them with naturally sugar free jams or ones sweetened with fruit pectin, or flavor with vanilla or other extract flavors.
- Replace sugar with sweet spices. Try cardamon, coriander, basil, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger for a light, sweet taste.