Spice up your granola with warming spices. Inspired by the holiday season and the green and red in the cranberries and pistachios, I added cloves to my granola this time. The millet in this recipe is also an added bonus, as unlike most grains, millet has an alkalinizing effect on the body.
Subtle and delicious, this granola is perfect for the festive spirit!
- 1/2 cup whole millet
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup shelled, raw pistachios
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup date paste, honey, or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries (I used Eden Organic cranberries because they are sweetened with apple juice instead of sugar)
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over millet, cover with a plate, and let sit until softened, 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl combine drained millet, oats, pistachios, and coconut flakes.
- Whisk together melted coconut oil, vanilla, sweetner of choice, cloves, and salt in a separate bowl. If using honey, this process is easier if mix all ingredients together over low heat.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together.
- Spread evenly onto a baking sheet. Bake about 40 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and stir in cranberries. Once cool, store in airtight container. Keeps well for about 2 weeks.
This recipe is gluten-free, and can be sugar-free depending on the sweetner and cranberries you use.