5 ways to eat more greens and make them palatable AND enjoyable!:
- Smother with your favorite sauce, dressing, or marinade…even if it’s chocolate sauce!
Dino Kale with Tahini Sauce
- 1 bunch of dino kale
12 garlic cloves
1⁄2 tsp sea salt
1⁄2 cup tahini
1⁄3 cup lemon juice
1⁄4 cup olive oil
1⁄4 cup date paste, honey, or agave nectar
optional: 1⁄4 cup water
- Cut off the stem ends of the kale. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Toss kale in water, turn off heat, let kale sit in hot water for ~10 seconds or until skin is soft. Kale leaves should still be a bright green color. Strain kale and chop into bite sized pieces.
- In a blender, blend all other ingredients until smooth.
- Toss tahini sauce with kale and serve!
2. Chop up into small pieces and toss in a salad with romaine or iceberg lettuce and/or other salad veggies of your choice.
This actually makes the greens easier “to stomach.” Cutting into small pieces also removes the tough and chewy texture that many people don’t like.
Chiffonade Chard Salad
- 2 heads of organic romaine lettuce, chopped
3 large leaves of chard, use chiffonade techniqe to cut into thin strips
1 shredded beet
1 shredded carrot
salad dressing of choice
- Toss all ingredients together.
3. Use green leafy herbs in your sauces, salads, and as a garnish on anything!
cilantro, basil, parsley, oregano, etc.
A Greener Guac
- 1 avocado
1⁄2 cup salsa of choice
1⁄4 - 1/3 bunch of cilantro, chopped 1⁄2 tsp lime or lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp salt
- Mash avocado with a fork.
- Mix in rest of ingredients and enjoy!
4. Add to your casseroles and soups.
There’s enough other textures and flavors going on that you can’t taste the greens. Remember the cut into small pieces rule.
Sweet Shepherd’s Pie
● recipe can be found at https://swtshinecom.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/sweet-shepherds-pie/
5. Make a green smoothie and blend your greens with fruit!
Banana Green Smoothie
- 2 -3 bananas
2-4 handfuls of spinach
~1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened almond milk
dash of sea salt or himalayan salt
splash of vanilla extract
cinnamon to taste
- Blend all ingredients on high in a high powered blender.
- Pour into a glass and drink up!