Yacon syrup and powder comes from the yacon root. It is low-glycemic (GI of 0), raw, low-calorie, and maintains all of its nutrients. It comes in both powder form or liquid form. I prefer the liquid, as it has a sweeter taste to it and is more versatile. Although I find the powder version perfect for my oatmeal.
Yacon is high in fiber, which contributes to most of its beneficial qualities, including promoting weight loss. But don’t over do it, or your bowels will have a word or two to say to you!
The benefits of this sweetener include:
- Regulates friendly intestinal flora, especially improves the growth of bifidobacterium
- Reduces constipation
- Helps to reduce the risk of developing colon cancer
- Improves calcium and magnesium absorption, helping to strengthen the bones
- Improves vitamin absorption, especially for B Vitamins
- Helps manage cholesterol, triglycerides, and fat metabolism in general
- Boosts the immune system in a similar way to aloe vera
- Contains glyconutrientsRich in antioxidants
- Helps reduce symptoms of blood sugar disorders (hypoglycemia, diabetes type 2, etc.)
- Has a glycemic index of 0